Monday, April 7, 2014

Movie Review: Noah

SPOILER ALERT!

On Friday night, I went to see Noah. I had heard great things about this movie, but the selling point for me was a review I read about Emma Watson's performance. I have always been a fan of hers. I purchased my tickets, smuggled some snacks into the theater and was ready for what I thought would be a great movie about Noah, his family and the arc. What I saw left me confused and frustrated.


I am not an extremely religious person, but I know the story of Noah and the Arc very well. I do understand this movie was made in Hollywood, which means there will be some changes and tweeks to make the movie more appealing. But for anyone who went to see Noah expecting an adaption of a religious story, but in for some major surprises.

There were three main aspects of the movie that really irked me. The first being that there were mystical "things," for lack of a better word. Old snake skin that glowed when a boy was becoming a man and giant rock creatures that were fallen angles. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't you think that a movie about one of the most well known biblical stories that is being released right around Easter, should stay true to the story? I feel as though people will be upset about the idea of magic being involved. Look at how outraged people were with the Harry Potter books, and those books were not related to religion. Noah is a religious story.

Another interesting aspect of the movie was that the term God was not used. Not once. God was called The Creator. I just found that strange.

The last and final problem I had with Noah was Noah. I love Russell Crowe, but the character of Noah was lost, confused, heartless, and just plain horrible at times. I won't give away too much more than I already have, but trust me, if you go see this movie there will be numerous times you wish you could just shake Noah and knock some sense and mercy into the man.

Not everything was bad. The images  of the landscapes were beautiful and the acting was wonderful. Emma Watson was truly captivating, and Jennifer Connelly, who played Noah's wife, pulled at your heart strings. But the meat of the move, the story, was too far fetch for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment