Sunday, September 15, 2013

NYFW: What is Going on with Men's Fashion?

Maybe I am being hypocritical because I think Alexander McQueen's and John Galliano's gowns are beautiful even in their outrageous extravagance, but I do not understand men's fashion.
While skimming through some of the New York Fashion Shows I often found myself shaking my head in question at the men's designs. Tim Cooper sent a red, white, and black sleeveless shift dress down the runway during his collection. Libertine created an overly embellished biker jacket and paired it with a graphic white tee and a black speedo. I think something was missing... Oh yes, the pants!. The most shocking outfit may have been from Siki Im. The models wore a silicon-like piece on their torso covered with what can only be described an hospital looking pieces and, the worst fashion faux pas, socks with sandals. But that's not all. A white wash clothe was casually draped on the model's heads. If there was a statement to be made here it was lost on me.
Lastly, while this designer was the most conservative of them all, the Marc Jacobs men's looks where the most wearable by the standards of the guys that I know and yet still a bit much. What got me the most were the accessories. A silver clutch, a necklace and a chain ear cuff?
I can appreciate a creative mind and out of the box designs, but these looks were a bit too far out of the box for me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I think men look their best in a crisp suite or perfectly fitted jeans, but these fashions did not do it for me. Then again, I don't have to wear them. Thank goodness! Good luck men!

Tim Cooper SS14

Libertine SS14

Siki Im SS14

Marc Jacobs SS14

No comments:

Post a Comment