Thursday, March 27, 2014

#TBT: Sky Dancers

Do you remember the days of trudging down the sidewalk backpack in tow due to the exhaustion of learning the multiplications tables? I do with great fondness. I would somehow make it home, give my dotting mother a hug at the door, while she takes my backpack and ushers me into the kitchen for a snack. I would sit, half asleep, eating cookies and once I had my last bite, a second wind came over me and I was back to my old energetic self again. That is when the real fun began. I would run up to my room and grab all the toys I could fit into my little arms.
Toys in the 90s are so different from what I see my younger siblings playing with now. Half of the time, physical toys are not even involved. They are staring at the television playing video games. I was thinking back to some of my girly toys I had growing up and one in particular came to mind: the Sky Dancers. Do you remember those? Little fairy-like dolls on a stand and when you pulled the string they would fly up into the air, well, at least 50% of the time they did. The other 50% they barely took off and just pathetically plummeted to the ground.


My neighborhood girl friends would come over and we all had a Sky Dancer, of course. So we would count to 3 and all of our fairies would take flight at once. The beauty, the magic, the terror. Yes, terror. One wrong angle and these babies were flying at your face. Once the boys discovered what damage these angelic faced dancing dolls could do, no one was safe. My brother and his gang of hooligans would steal them when we weren't paying attention and use them against us. Our own dolls turned into monsters. That would end rather abruptly when one of our parents caught sight of 4 girls running around the backyard frantically covering our heads for protection. I guess it is no surprise when researching these toys that they eventually became banned. This is why we can't have nice things. Even the most innocent looking toy can be a weapon of destruction.
But banning the Sky Dancers hasn't stopped some other uncreative soul from making Flutterbye Flying Fairy Doll. Available at your nearest Toys R Us for the low, low price of $34.99. I give it a few months before these are also taken off the shelves for scratching one too many retinas. 


I mean, looks how sweet and fun these are.. until somebody looses an eye. Forget the Red Ryder BB gun, the Sky Dancers/Flutterbye Flying dolls are what we should really be concerned about! Maybe if a pair of safety goggles were included, we could all feel a little bit safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment