Monday, May 5, 2014

Let's Recap: Met Gala 2013

But, first.....

Happy Cinco de Mayo!



Okay, not back to more serious topics, such as clothes.

Today is the 2014 Met Gala. This evening the Upper East Side will be swarmed with celebs and onlookers trying to catch a peek of the action. The Met Gala is actually  more than just a another event for celebs for dress up, it serves a purpose. A tickets to the annual Met Gala is around $25,000 and the money goes towards the Metropolitan Museum of Art. "It also serves as an opening celebration for the institute's annual fashion exhibit. It is widely regarded as one of the most exclusive social events in New York and one of the biggest fundraising nights of the city with a reported nine million dollars raised in 2013" (Thanks, Wikipedia).  But for the rest of us, it another opportunity to see some great designs and love to hate the fashion choices. In honor of the Met Gala, let's take a look at some of my personal favorites from last year.

 Anne Hathaway in Valentino. Not everyone is a fan of Ms. Hathaway, but I cannot deny this look. It's edgy and perfect for the Met Gala. When I think Met Gala, I think taking a fashion risk with some edge and class. From her hair to the feathers around her wrist, it's a 10 for me.

 Emma Watson in Prabal Gurung. With this look, I love the simplicity of the color and material, but it's the cutouts and dramatic train that makes this look great for the occasion. Even her shoes tie in with the dress.
 Elle Fanning in Rodarte. While this look may be a bit juvenile, that is what I like about it. Elle Fanning is a young actress and this look is perfect for her. I love the tie-dye and her eye make is fierce.

 SJP. What can I say? She was the belle of the ball. I hope people took notes for this years gala. SJP is wearing a Giles Deacon dress and Philip Treacy hat. This is the epitome of Met Gala attire. A big billowy dress and a headpiece to die for. Well done, Parker.


Now, I stated these works were some of my favorite, but this particular look is my favorite love-to-hate ensemble.  Kim K in Givenchy. This look got so much flack, and frankly it for two reason. One, it does not look very good, and two, it's Kim K. Whenever I look at this dress, I am reminded of a hilarious Carol Burnett Show skit about Gone with the Wind. The main difference being that Kim's dress was more of a couch resemblance than a curtain. 



I can't wait to see what tonight has in store!



No comments:

Post a Comment